Emotional type? What methods should be applied to teach such a person? Firstly, let’s take into account the characteristic personal features of your student. Emotional types are people for whom feelings, relationships with various people and psychological analysis are really essential. Those types need a teacher’s particular attention. They search for a closer contact with a techer and treat him/her as a kind of coach who is going to direct them through the exciting paths of a language labirynth. Emotional students are sensitive, they need to know that your are really engaged in their learning process and that you simply care. Not only do they seek an opportunity to learn a language, but also a special bond with the very teacher.
Here are some methods suitable for an emotional type:
1. Try to create a bond between you and your student (e.g. stay a little bit longer with him/her to explain something again, ask about his/her feelings concerning the leearning proces).
2. Choose an appropriate topic (people and relationships, social problems, environmental issues, stories).
3. Initiate discussions, debates, role-plays and interactive exercises.
4. Introduce grammar by presenting the correlation between the tense and emotions (e.g. Present Continuous may in some contexts express irritation: He is laways leaving his dirty socks on the floor).
5. Teach vocabulary in context (showing the words emotional associations).
6. Give them problem-solving tasks, make them work in pairs or groups and enable them to learn through expressing their own feelings, referring to their own experiences and presenting their own ideas.